Table tennis titles decided
THE Town Championships were completed on Thursday with the doubles and over-40s singles.Two groups of doubles were played, and in Group A Paul Wright and Paul Junior were unbeaten to go top.
THE Town Championships were completed on Thursday with the doubles and over-40s singles.
Two groups of doubles were played, and in Group A Paul Wright and Paul Junior were unbeaten to go top. New pairing of Martin Clarke and David Willgoss proved successful when they took second spot.
There was a surprise in Group B when Wally Ladmore and Darren Swann forced the strong pairing of Ernie George and Martin Peek into second place.
In the semi-finals, Martin and David playing a good combination of loop and defence outplayed Wally and Darren 21-15 21-14 to go through. Ernie and Martin Peek put out the two Pauls but had to go to three games 10-21 21-16 21-17.
The final saw the established stronger pair of Ernie and Martin P take the title with a 21-6 21-9 victory over Martin C and David.
The over-40s singles were drawn into three groups. Wally Ladmore emerged as the winner of Group A, only dropping one game of 2l to Paul Senior. Darren Swann played some excellent shots to defeat Ernie George two games to one and went on to win Group B.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 3 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 4 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 8 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 9 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 10 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
The larger Group C had two players through - Bob Lamb and Paul Junior.
In the semi-finals, Wally beat Paul Junior 10-21 21-11 21-16. Darren beat Bob 21-19 21-16.
In the final Darren lost the first set 17- 21 but fought back to take the second 21-19. Wally however was not to be denied and upped his game to take the third 21-13 and the title.
Thanks went to Charles Hacon who was referee on the night.
The divisional singles will be held at Northgate, second on Tuesday, April 8 and the first on Thursday, April 10 - enter before or by 7pm on the nights.
The League Cup final between Kings Church A and Hospital Sparks will be on Tuesday, April 15 - again at 7pm at Northgate.
There are a few outstanding games left to play before the deadline.