Team prize and county medals won by runners
CROSS-COUNTRY: On Sunday several athletes from the Great Yarmouth and District Athletic Club competed in the Norfolk Cross-Country Championships held at Norwich.
The U11 girls won the team prize with Holly Baker taking the silver individual medal in second place, well supported by team-mates Daisy Spurway fifth, Alice Wakeley seventh and Georgia Clarke eighth.
In the U13 girls’ race Amy Dowsett battled hard for her bronze medal for third, Victoria Simmonds ran a good, solid race for eighth place followed closely by Phoebe Baker in 10th with Ella Wakely 12th and Rhiannon Clarke 15th. The runners finished second in the team event.
The U15 boys were hopeful of taking the team event, but despite an excellent run by Kyle Ella taking the silver medal with Keelan Pywell following close behind for the bronze, with Josh Clarke sixth and Kane Simmonds eighth – the team finished a point behind the City of Norwich after a great team effort.
At U15, Catherine Lee put in her usual determined run for second place, with Kelly Pywell fourth. Patrick Manning in the U13s finished in 10th place.
Senior man Kevan Pywell had a good run to finish 11th and Christopher Gaye came 18th place.
Competing in the Suffolk XC championships, Domonic Oliver finished in fourth place in the U15 boys’ race and Tamsin Desborough finished eighth in the U17 girls’ event.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 8 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
Many of these athletes have been selected to represent the Norfolk/Suffolk County AAAs at the inter-county championships in Birmingham in March.
Great Yarmouth and District Athletic Club members are asked to put their names down if they wish to compete in an event which is on Sunday, June 6.
They should arrive before 10.30 am on the day. It should be finished by 2pm. There will be a �2 charge for each Yarmouth athlete competing, which can be paid when picking up numbers on the day.
Although it is a team competition, there are individual medals for each event. Every athlete can do three events of their choice, there will be a selection process for the relays however.
There are also three track races for U15’s 100/200/800, medals for first three in each event. Enter on the day, Yarmouth athletes pay �1 per event.
There will also be 100/200m races for older athletes to help prepare them for the Norfolk Schools event the following weekend. These will be free, but no medals will be awarded.
For any queries contact Alan Jones on 01493 665999/mob 07789055258. If you would like information emailed, leave your name and e-mail address in the tea hut or email details to A.K.Jones@btinternet.com