Thornton wins Gorleston Golf Club’s Centenary Cup
- Credit: Archant
Despite less than ideal conditions the members of Gorleston Golf Club played their competitions undeterred.
Sixteen members of the thriving Junior Academy played a nine-hole Texas Scramble.
The winning team comprised Chase Taylor, Ashton Cater, Millie Delaney and Harry Peacock with a gross 37.
In the May Day Texas Scramble first in men’s division were Stuart Pearce, Ray Pope, Clyde Leggett and Tony Houchin (58.1 nett). Mixed Division first place were Gail Chapman, Marion Anderson, Robert Cooper and Andy Elliott (60.4 nett). First overall were Jenny Watson, David Watson, Penny and Paul Platten (56.9).
The May Divisional Medal was won by Sandra Gale with a nett 71 in Division Three, Neilma Jary won Division Two on 72 and Anne Amos was the winner of Division One with a nett 76.
You may also want to watch:
The Ladies recorded a 2½-1½ win in their friendly match against Bungay Golf Club while Golden Jubilee Cup went to David Butcher with a great score of 66 in testing conditions.
The May Medal saw junior captain Jack Butcher score a 71 to win on countback from Daniel Crosby.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 7 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 8 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 9 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 10 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
Another busy week began when the men’s section played the Millichamp Trophy which was won this year by Martin Potter on 70 (nett) with Andy Garforth 71 (nett) in second place.
The Ladies’ Section hosted their annual AM/AM competition. There was a brilliant turnout this year from 22 teams of four representing 13 different golf clubs.
The overall winners, with 100 points, were Linda Baldry, Alison Wallace, Rhona Neech and Clare Woods from Halesworth Golf Club who received their prizes from ladies’ captain Vonnie Thornton and ladies’ president Thelma Evans.
Last Friday members took part in the Centenary Cup, 111 years to the day since Gorleston Golf Club was founded.
This year the winner with a splendid score of 68 (nett) was Howard Thornton.
Angling: Martham and District Angling Club’s annual charity match, which takes place at Martham Pits on Saturday, May 27 is a sell-out.
All proceeds will be going to MacMillan Cancer Support Great Yarmouth and Gorleston and the club are hoping to raise in excess of £500 with 50 local anglers taking part.