Holmes claims a double as Great Yarmouth secure 2-2 draw at Ely
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth Town made it four games unbeaten after coming away from high-flying Ely with a hard earned point.
The Bloaters were without Mitch Forbes, Vadim Costandachi and Miles Palmer but welcomed back Ben Lewis and Olly Savage and called up from Brandon Charlton from the Reserves.
The game started with both sides playing some decent football on a sticky yet firm pitch. It was Ely who had some early joy and Sam Goodge got into the box and fired in a low shot but Jack Whatmough made a good save.
Yarmouth gradually got themselves into some good positions and a long throw was cleared to the edge of the box where Kieran Hagan was on hand to get a shot away which went narrowly wide.
A quick Ely break then saw Jonathan Brown get into the channel and hit a venomous shot that hit the crossbar before the resulting scramble saw the hosts hit the post.
The deadlock was finally broken by the Bloaters just before the break. A long throw from Kyle Howell was flicked on by Lewis and Chris Holmes found himself six yards out and after a scramble he managed to get the ball out of his feet to fire into the roof of the net.
The second half started with Ely on the attack and they equalised when a clearance on the edge of the Yarmouth box was blocked and fell into the path of Lee Reed who poked home underneath Whatmough.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 3 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 10 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
With their tails up, Ely went in search of another goal and got it when a wayward clearance found Theobald who set up Seymour 25 yards out to strike into the bottom corner.
At the other end a great break saw a superb through ball by Hagan into the path of Sanders to leave him one-on-one. The keeper saved and the ball ran into the path of Andersen, whose sweetly struck shot was goal bound into a virtually empty net, only for Reynolds to somehow get back up in time to make a superb save.
The breakthrough finally came when a cross found Ady Ager at the back post to slide and shoot back across goal for it to nestle in the back of the net. Holmes claimed to have got a touch on it but yet to be confirmed by the dubious goal committee!
Team: Whatmough, Urry, Ford, Howell, Ager, Forbes, Sanders, Andersen, Holmes, Lewis, Hagan.
Subs: Eagleton, Savage, Charlton.