Coastal derby ends all square as Forbes scores late for Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Archant
Both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils after Mitch Forbes scored an 86th minute equaliser for Great Yarmouth Town in a keenly-contested Boxing Day derby.
Peter Lambert was played through the middle for Gorleston in the opening seconds but struck his volley straight into the waiting arms of Jack Whatmough.
A minute later, the Bloaters were inches away from taking the lead when a long Ben Lewis throw was headed goalwards by Haydn Davis. The ball struck the underside of the bar and bounced down on to the line where Elliott Hannant scrambled it away.
The Greens took the lead in the 14th minute. The tricky Kyle Ingram was upended by Robin Anderson close to the byline andIngram picked himself up to float in the free-kick for Lambert to head home.
Ten minutes later a Joel Watts run down the left saw him produce an excellent cross which Lambert headed over before Jackson Ramm headed over from another cross.
Ten minutes before the break a quick passing move gave Aaron Sanders a shooting chance for Yarmouth but he shot straight at Taurean Molloy.
As the half ended, Molloy kept his side in front with a fingertip save after Sanders got in again.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 4 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 5 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 6 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 7 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 8 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 9 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
Gorleston began the second half with some early pressure and Watts appeared to be bundled over in the box but the referee waved away the penalty appeals.
The visitors began to peg the Greens back although Ingram forced a low save from Whatmough before the visitors came close to equalising with eight minutes to go.
Chris Holmes got through on the right and shot goalwards. The ball bounced down off the crossbar, rebounding to Mitch Forbes who looked certain to score but he was denied by Harley Clements clearing off the line.
A minute later Forbes got through and again the Gorleston defence was back to clear off the line.
The Greens were clinging on and, with five minutes remaining, the equaliser arrived. A cracking crossfield pass from left to right picked out Glover who got the better of Luke Goreham before the Greens defender felled him in the box.
Up stepped Forbes to take the spot-kick, which Molloy saved, but the Yarmouth striker was the first to react and follow up to slot the ball home.