Tim reaches world stage
ACLE bowler Tim Stone has qualified for the Potters Holidays World Indoor Bowls Championships.Over last weekend the World Bowls Singles qualifying rounds were played in Lincoln.
ACLE bowler Tim Stone has qualified for the Potters Holidays World Indoor Bowls Championships.
Over last weekend the World Bowls Singles qualifying rounds were played in Lincoln.
Acle Indoor Bowls Club member Tim Stone played Tristan Morton in the first round and won in two straight sets. He then played another Norfolk man, Jamie Chestney, losing the first set 6-7. In the next set he was 6-4 down with one end to play, but scored three shots to win 7-6.
In the play-off he was one down but won the next two to go into the quarter-final.
In this game he played Simon Reeson and won in two straight sets. Going into the semi-final against Chris Moore he again was in top form and won in two straight sets.
In the final he played Martin Tomlin from Boston in Lincolnshire, and won 7-1, 9-1.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
Stone will now play in the television World Championships held at Potters Leisure in January. His first game will be against an Australian qualifier on Sunday, January 11, at 9.30am and if he wins will have to play Norfolk's Mervyn King in the next round.
In the World Pairs qualifiers Acle's Lewis Moore and Daniel Noble lost in the final to Nicky Brett and Jamie Chestney.
Lewis Moore has already qualified for the Welsh Open Championship, which is played after the World Singles event.
Stone is following the steps of fellow Acle member George Tubby who qualified for the World Indoor Singles at Potters in 2005, and Lewis Moore is following the steps of Tim, who qualified for the Welsh Open in 2006.