Title challengers score late goal to dampen Bloaters’ spirits
- Credit: Archant
The Bloaters were decimated for their high profile game against title contenders Felixstowe & Walton on Saturday.
The visitors were without leading goalscorer Jennings but came into the match in good form having won eight of their last nine games.
The Bloaters kicked off playing with the benefit of the breeze and started well. Perfect almost created a chance as keeper Crump mishandled and the skilful winger twisted and turned but the visitors smuggled the ball away.
Leading scorer Mitch Forbes was then scythed down on the edge of the box but Swatman’s free kick went narrowly wide of the target.
The home side were grateful to McAra who headed off the line from a dangerous corner as the visitors took a grip of the game.
You may also want to watch:
An accidental clash between Howell and Powell resulted in the latter being substituted after half an hour. The Bloaters were defending well and when they did manage to breach the Seasiders defence, Perfect was cynically brought down resulting in a booking for Matthews.
The half ended with the visitors having the better possession but unable to breach a home defence well-marshalled by skipper and February Player of the Month, Rob Andersen.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 3 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 4 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 5 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 6 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 7 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 8 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 9 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
- 10 Boy, aged one, who suffered severe burns now 'looking forward to Christmas'
The home sides’ best chance in the second half came when Forbes found himself behind the defence but his floated cross was inches wide of the incoming Davis.
With 10 minutes left Davis burst through after Perfect did well to hold off his marker, but the pass into Forbes was inches behind the striker.
The home side were showing signs of intent but that was dampened as the defence failed to clear and Ingram fired in a low shot which finished in the net.
Bloaters: Bond, Swatman, Savage, Applegate, Howell, Andersen, McAra, Davis, Forbes, Perfect, Hunter. Subs: Catchpole, Ager, Holmes, George.
Table-topping Bloaters Reserves continued their recent good form with a resounding 10-0 victory at Thetford Rovers. Goals from Matt Wallis four, Liam Fuller two, Jonny Howell two, Gez Schurrman and Toby Gorbould secured another vital three points.
The youth team came from 2-0 down to defeat Norwich Utd 3-2. Goals from Sawyer, Waite and Wallis secured a fine victory.