Todd hat-trick helps Acle Ladies seal cup success
- Credit: PA
Acle United Ladies advanced into the second qualifying round of the SSE Women’s FA Cup after defeating Thrapston Town 4-1 on Sunday.
After a fairly even start Todd, after receiving the ball from Burton, out-paced her marker but shot high over the bar as the hosts looked to dominate.
A good move down the left flank by Wilson and then Bullard saw a cross find Burton, but her shot was saved by the Thrapston keeper.
Acle fell behind to a goal on the half-hour mark against the run of play, after a corner was headed home. However, within a minute Acle had equalised. A long ball was chased by Bullard and slotted past the keeper, with appeals for offside waved away.
Whilst the hosts continued to pressurise the visitors, a quick break by Thrapston was thwarted by a good covering tackle by Wilson.
On the stroke of half-time, Acle took a deserved 2-1 lead. Bullard controlled the ball on the edge of the area before allowing Wilson cross back from the goal-line to Burton, whose passed for Todd to convert at the far post.
The hosts held the advantage in the early stages of the second half but were unable to break down their opponents. Bullard had a shot saved and then Todd grazed the outside of the post after beating the keeper to the ball.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
However,Acle’s pressure finally paid off just before the hour mark when Todd, afte receiving a poor clearance, fired home from 25 yards to give the hosts a 3-1 lead.
With 13 minutes remaining, the hosts had a let off when an away striker crashed the ball against the crossbar with an open goal in front of her after Acle failed to clear a corner.
The home side continued to push forward and in added time forced a corner.
Taken by Scully, the ball was headed on by Pasque to Burton, whose shot was blocked but Todd was on hand to blast home to secure her hat-trick and seal a second qualifying round home game against Riverside on September 17.
Acle Ladies: C Fullbrook, A Larkins, E Wilson, C Shields, K Pasque, A Rowland, B Scully, C Flatt, R Burton, M Todd, L Bullard. Subs used: L Bailey, V Hudson, J Copeman. Unused: R Brister, J Hooper.
The Ladies have a home game against early league leaders Billericay Town at The FDC Flegg on Sunday (2pm).