Top jockeys are neck and neck
THE 2011 season has seen a terrific start at Great Yarmouth for previous champion jockeys Kieren Fallon (six times) and Frankie Dettori (three times), who lead the jockeys’ table at the Yarmouth track after four meetings.
Fallon is in front with six wins from 20 rides returning �16.75 to a �1 stake, including an 87/1 treble at the last meeting.
Dettori is not far behind with three wins from nine rides, also enjoying success at the last meeting on the 5/2 favourite Batgirl, who has taken a shine to the track after winning there earlier this year and at last year’s Eastern Festival in September.
With June just around the corner, the Queen’s horse, Carlton House, trained by Sir Michael Stoute, is currently the bookies’ favourite to win the Epsom Derby after impressing in the Dante Stakes at York. This would be a very fitting result in the year of the royal wedding.
And for those that follow everything royal, did you know that a horse called Royal Wedding (4/1) won on the day of the wedding at Fontwell Racecourse?
Closer to home, the gates open again at Yarmouth on the first evening meeting this year (May 31).
There are seven races starting at 5.50pm. Admission gates open from 4pm. The finale is at 9pm.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 4 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 5 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 6 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 7 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 10 Council defends cost of £70 posy vases amid criticism
Admission: Grandstand and paddock �14; premier enclosure �21. Discounts are available for advance online purchases.
Accompanied children under 16 are always admitted free of charge.
Further details for these and all of the race meetings in 2011 can be found at www.greatyarmouth-racecourse.co.uk
Or give the office a call on 01493 842527.