Town off to a quick start

Great Yarmouth Town 3, FC Clacton 1

ON Saturday, the Bloaters got back to winning ways in the Ridgeons Premier as wingers Scott Woodcock and Luke Fell secured victory in a game which opened with a flourish of goals.

Tomorrow they travel to second-bottom Debenham, a team against whom they recorded their biggest win of the season so far, 4-0 last month at the Wellesley.

There are no fresh injury concerns for Yarmouth, and Gareth Palmer is 50/50, writes Colin Jones.

Against Clacton, Yarmouth were ahead within three minutes.

James Page fed a pass to Gavin Norman who, with his back to goal, flicked the ball forward to Jake Reed, who ran into the penalty area and was bundled down.

The referee had no choice but to give a penalty and up stepped Woodcock to put the ball into the net.

Most Read

A good start turned into a dream opening. Clacton keeper Rutherford had the ball on the left of his penalty area, but his clearance was blocked by Reed. The ball deflected into the area and Luke Fell beat the desperately-retreating defenders to put Yarmouth two goals up with barely five minutes on the clock.

Clacton gave themselves a way back into the match after a break in concentration in the Yarmouth defence, with Ray Turner benefiting and slotting low past returning goalkeeper Hilton in the eighth minute.

The fans had a chance to breathe after that hectic start, but chances were still created.

Clacton were buoyed by their goal and believed they could force a way back into the game, but Yarmouth also created their fair share of chances.

Woodcock had an effort saved low down after a Dominic Smith pass, before Jo Bell got the ball trapped in his feet in his own area, with Hilton making the save to spare his blushes.

Fell had the next chance. Fom a Norman pass he dribbled towards goal, but fired wide, narrowly missing the back-rushing defender, who almost deflected the ball into his own net.

Hilton made several saves throughout the match, and Clacton were guilty of missing good chances, mostly with headers from close range. When Clacton did have the ball in the net, the assistant flagged for offside after twice changing his mind.

Yarmouth increased their lead early in the second half. Reed turned and ran towards goal from within his own half.He took on two defenders and beat them both, and once he reached the six-yard box he cut the ball across goal and Fell executed his second close-range finish of the match.

That goal kicked Clacton into gear. Lax defending and Hilton rushing out early almost led to a goal, but the Clacton player’s effort bobbled wide when it could have easily gone in.

Next Clacton’s Bethell ghosted in, but Hilton produced an excellent point-blank save to keep the two-goal cushion. Clacton hit a post with their next effort and the follow-up was pulled back for offside.

For the rest of the half Yarmouth defended well and Hilton continued to deny a goal which would have made a nervy end to the match. There was a second yellow to Matt Cripps after he felled Reed in the 79th minute.

Manager Paul Tong praised his team’s reaction after two defeats on the trot. “I thought after a lacklustre display against Woodbridge the team rose to the challenge before them and fought for the points today.

“Adey and Olly did superbly well at the back, having never played together, and having Hilton back in goal was a big boost for us, so it was good to see.”

Yarmouth: Hilton, Page, Bell, McCarthy, Ager, Catchpole, Fell, Smith, Norman (Spooner), Reed, Woodcock (Barnden). Sub not used: Jake Jessup.