Trophy triumph for college team
EAST Norfolk Sixth Form College has won the coveted Clifford Dixon Trophy for a fifth successive year and by a record margin.
This prestigious trophy is awarded to the east of England champions on the results of 36 competitions in 14 different sports, plus performances in the national finals, and East Norfolk SFC was the only college to score in every one of those competitions.
The local college amassed a total of 286 points over the season, which was a Clifford Dixon Trophy record.
The Gorleston college’s students were a massive 82 points ahead of Hills Road SFC from Cambridge, a much larger college who always enjoy a friendly rivalry with East Norfolk.
Once again, all the top places were filled by sixth form colleges, with SEEVIC from Benfleet in third and Colchester SFC in fourth place.
There are 35 colleges in the eastern region, with just nine of them being sixth form colleges.
College principal, Laurie Poulson, said: “This is another fantastic achievement for local students.
- 1 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 2 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 3 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 6 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 7 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 8 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 9 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 10 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
“Over 200 have represented the college in these championships and they have been coached and supported by a large team of specialists led by Steve Mooney and drawn mainly from the PE department, but with contributions from right across the college’s staff.
“They have certainly gone the extra mile in helping our students develop their potential to the full.
“The most pleasing aspect for me is that those students who are most serious and disciplined in their sporting activities generally do better in their academic studies.
“Competitive sport at college is open to any student, whatever their programme of study, and the camaraderie and enjoyment of top level sport is incomparable,” he said.
“The scale of this performance is reflected in the fact that East Norfolk Sixth Form College doubled the total of all the other Norfolk colleges put together and outpointed the combined efforts of all the rest of the Norfolk and Suffolk colleges.
“East Norfolk also out-scored the combined colleges in each of Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire!
“This is a great credit to the hard work and dedication of so many students and staff and the whole area can be proud of this achievement.”
It is still possible to apply to join the college for this September, download an application form from www.enorf.ac.uk