Twickenham final one win away

PUBLISHED: 11:37 05 March 2009 | UPDATED: 13:12 03 July 2010

Lowestoft & Yarmouth, just 80 minutes away from their first visit to Twickenham in 134 years of existence, travel to Cornwall in the semi-finals of the national EDF Energy Junior Vase.

Lowestoft & Yarmouth, just 80 minutes away from their first visit to Twickenham in 134 years of existence, travel to Cornwall in the semi-finals of the national EDF Energy Junior Vase.

Their reward for Saturday's crushing 73-3 victory over Midlands side Harbury is a trip to face Liskeard-Looe on Saturday, March 21.

A win there would earn the club a dream trip to Twickenham and player-coach Scott Nelson is already looking forward to the match. “If we had to get an away tie I would have picked that one,” he said. “Cornish rugby has always been very strong and it will be great to test ourselves against one of their top sides at our level.

“It will be another great adventure for us and I can't wait for the game to come around.”

Brighton will take on Hullensians in the other tie after the draw was made at Twickenham.

This weekend L&Y face Cantabridgians at home in the league.

Harbury 3, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 73

L&Y produced a magnificent display of 15-man rugby in the West Midlands in this EDF Junior Vase quarter-final. They blew away the Warwickshire outfit in every department.

Player-coach Nelson was the beneficiary of his charges' efforts, bagging three tries for himself to add to the other eight scored throughout the side and Russ Chapman's nine conversions.

The fly-half was first on the scoresheet after four minutes. L&Y worked their way into the 22 and after some desperate tackling Nelson skipped through a gap and under the posts. Young flanker Davey was prominent in the second score after finishing off a sustained counter-attack with a lovely scoring pass to left wing Matt Howell.

Howell came off his wing to create the third try, enabling Chapman to cut back and through to the posts.

Nineteen points up in as many minutes, L&Y knew they had the game in their hands, but a sweetly- struck Harbury penalty from 40 metres served to remind them they couldn't relax. Nor did they.

As the front row of Wayne Nixon, Shaun Woodhouse and Jake Titterington mastered their opponents, so the remainder of the pack took the game to the opposition.

Nelson had the room to break tackles at will and he got his second after Chapman went right from a five metre scrum.

Daniel Boardley finished off the first-half try scoring, supporting a pass from Howe.

L&Y played a more direct game in the second period. Wilkinson was rewarded with a try on 45 minutes when he took a great supporting line on the inside of Nelson to charge over.

Marc Thomas then forced his way over from a five-metre scrum stolen against the head before Nelson completed his hat-trick after selling the defence an outrageous dummy.

Chris Howe was driven over from a five-metre scrum for the ninth try, Smith took the scoring pass from McElroy in a flowing 70m counter-attack for the 10th and Simon Coleman squeezed his considerable frame through a gap by the posts for a deserved score.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury