United not so champion
Acle United 1, Blofield United 2THIS derby defeat cost Acle in their quest for the Anglian Combination championship. Sheringham now lead the Sterry Cup race, six points clear of Acle, who tomorrow visit Beccles Town.
Acle United 1, Blofield United 2
THIS derby defeat cost Acle in their quest for the Anglian Combination championship.
Sheringham now lead the Sterry Cup race, six points clear of Acle, who tomorrow visit Beccles Town. Blofield are fifth, 10 points behind the leaders but with three games in hand over the top two.
Blofield erased the memory of the 6-2 hammering that Acle handed them in early December. Two-goal Danny McKail proved to be the difference between the two sides.
The Beavers were first to the ball in 50-50 situations and their gritty performance denied Acle the opportunity to display their confident push and run style of football promoted by manager Tony Ward's way of playing.
McKail opened the scoring after 25 minutes when a throw-in appeared to be cleared but the ball fell nice for the Blofield man to hammer through a crowded goalmouth.
- 1 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 2 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 3 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 4 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 5 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 6 Four fire crews tackle flat blaze in Great Yarmouth
- 7 Former nurse died while on holiday on Norfolk coast
- 8 Broads' tragedy: Laura Perry inquest adjourned until end of year
- 9 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in and around Great Yarmouth this week
Earlysecond period McKail struck home a volley from six yards.
Acle's Nicholls failed to find the finish to a half-chance and Daniel Foreman, such a revelation and a skilful part of the defence ran 70 yards evading tackles but saw Lloyd foil his attempt at the last minute.
The introduction of John Curtis caused Blofield problems and they had to unceremoniously cut him down with minutes to go. Ben Morgan converted the resultant penalty kick but for Acle this was too little, too late.