Volleyball proving popular
MONDAY saw the inaugural Norfolk Schools Volleyball Championships held at the UEA Sportspark.The tournament was split into two age groups, primary and secondary.
MONDAY saw the inaugural Norfolk Schools Volleyball Championships held at the UEA Sportspark.
The tournament was split into two age groups, primary and secondary. The secondary competition was dominated by teams from Gorleston. Six out of the top nine teams (out of 18 in total) were from either Oriel Specialist Mathematics and Computing College or Lynn Grove High School and all six teams had members of the new Great Yarmouth and Gorleston Volleyball Club playing for them.
Lynn Grove had two teams of Year 11 boys entered and reached the final despite a close call or two against Oriel along the way. The final was refereed by Great Britain international Nathan Bennett, and the GB men's coach Harry Brokking presented trophies.
Lynn Grove A edged out Lynn Grove B in a close final. In third place was a team of Year 9 boys from Oriel, The Hedgehogs, whose only loss came against Lynn Grove B. With the other Oriel teams, The Stingers, Titans and Spikers, they outplayed many older teams.
To complete the domination of the top half of the competition, Oriel Stingers, who had a guest player from Great Yarmouth High, finished sixth. Oriel Titans, who despite being one of the youngest teams in the competition
qualified for the quarter-finals finished eighth.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 8 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
And ater winning the King of the Court competition, Oriel Spikers came in ninth place. It was an incredible day for junior volleyball in East Norfolk.
All players can now continue to improve both in school and at Great Yarmouth and Gorleston Volleyball Club.
1 Lynn Grove A - Alex Shreeve, Kurt Ford, Ryan Rawlings (C), Anthony Mead, Callum McColgan; 2 Lynn Grove B - Andrew Potter, Max Evans, Liam Burchette, Daniel Henderson, Hayden Yates (C); 3 Oriel Hedgehogs - Josh Allen, Macauley Churchman, Curtis Macleod (C), Shaun Macleod; 6 Oriel Stingers - Chloe Anderson (C), Jodie Brady, Sam Cooper, Krysta Lehra, Ray Lillie; 8 Oriel Titans - Matthew Brown (C), Jayden Fiddy, Lewis Gilham, Kyle Lodge; 9 Oriel Spikers - Bradley Burnett, Michael Lee, Jordan Saunders (C), Kyle Terry.
Great Yarmouth and Gorleston Volleyball Club is still looking for junior members, and would like to hear from adults interested in trying the sport. The club is also looking for sponsorship - contact www.gygvc.co.uk