Weakened Greens hit hard
FC Clacton 7, Gorleston 0Gorleston fans were no doubt in a state of shock after seeing this result at Clacton on Saturday.However one is reluctant to make excuses as there were many facts to consider when the true situation was known, writes Mick Heard.
FC Clacton 7, Gorleston 0
Gorleston fans were no doubt in a state of shock after seeing this result at Clacton on Saturday.
However one is reluctant to make excuses as there were many facts to consider when the true situation was known, writes Mick Heard.
The Greens lined up with central defenders Eddie Thompson and Leon Harewood both missing, Thompson through a family illness and Harewood was injured midweek.
Right back Kyle Howell and goalkeeper Tom Marsden were also out injured while Peter Lambert has just started at university but is keen to be available for Gorleston once he's settled in.
So with the keeper and three of the defence absent it was always going to be difficult against a big, physical, capable Clacton side.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
Steve Cannon came in goal while regular left back Ben Manning returned from injury and moved to central defence.
Youth team player Harley Clements came in at right back while Harry Maddison came into the attack to add a little height.
There was a good first half but Clacton took two chances to go ahead. Generally Gorleston adapted quite well.
However, 10 minutes into the second half an unfortunate incident occurred. Thurtle and Clements had a collision of heads and both could take no further part in the game.
After this it was obviously very much uphill for Gorleston, and Clacton added three further goals and then another two in injury time.
Jamie Long, Nathan Thompson and Regan Harman came on as substitutes, but such was the position for Gorleston that striker Gary Ingram had to play right back during the second half.
Gorleston: S Cannon, H Clements, A Thurtle, B Manning, L Goreham, S Taylor, J Bell, R Butler, G Ingram, H Maddison, L Hunter.
Gorleston are at home on Saturday to Ipswich Wanderers when hopefully they will be something nearing full strength.