Wiltshire Cup upset

Great Yarmouth & District Football Leaguewww.gydfl.com THERE was one upset in the first round of the Wiltshire Cup which saw a series of close games, only one tie decided by more than two goals.

Great Yarmouth & District Football League


THERE was one upset in the first round of the Wiltshire Cup which saw a series of close games, only one tie decided by more than two goals.

Second division front runners Albion (GY) defeated first division Great Yarmouth International.

They were always ahead, taking the lead after just four minutes through Peter Oldham with Johnny Bowles, doubling the advantage 10 minutes later.

International were back in the game a minute later through Andre Costa but 10 minutes before the interval James Hogbin restored the two-goal advantage. A David Motty penalty again brought International back into contention, however Matthew Oldham made the game safe late in the game.

Most Read

Albion's reward in the third round is a trip to holders Arches.

In a very tight game against first division leaders MK United, an early penalty from Scott Calver was enough to settle the tie in a game that produced eight yellow cards.

Another very creditable performance came from second division Norfolk and Chance who held the mighty Catfield to a 3-1 scoreline, finally losing to goals from Chad Pillar, Paul Thompson and Arron Bowers.

Paperclip, also from the second division led first division Caister A when Barnes scored against the run of play. After that Caister completely took over with Karl Cooper netting four times and Neil Bowman and Lee George grabbing a brace each.

In two other all-first division games Golfers Arms beat Tramway 3-1 with a double from Ollie McCarthy and one from G Davies while Gunton made the long trip to Reedham and emerged 4-2 winners with Ashley Leggett netting twice and Gareth Wright and Shane Walpole once each.

In the all-second division encounter South Yarmouth defeated Gorleston Wanderers 3-2 thanks to a double from Glen Linnett and one from Johnny Howells. The game between Shrublands and Lacon Arms fell victim to a waterlogged pitch.

On the league front, third-placed Hemsby Reserves visited fourth placed MK United Reserves and a 3-1 score meant the teams exchanged places. Hemsby were awarded a penalty midway through the first half which was placed well wide. A few minutes later Ryan Booth put MK ahead.

Hemsby were soon level through Dale Bain early in the second half and started to gain control until the introduction of a substitute changed the game as MK restored their lead soon scored another when Brandon Ingram headed home.

Great Yarmouth Peelers took the lead from the spot through Richard Temple, dominated but were unable to convert chances.

Second half Peelers took 10 minutes to get into their stride but the second goal came after hard work by substitute Adam Pope. The third and final goal came from Mark Carrier who ran the length of the pitch unchallenged and slotted the ball past the keeper.

Carpathians were hoping to avenge the narrow 2-1 cup defeat against Great Yarmouth United but went a goal down after two minutes when Billy Lawson scored. At the third attempt Ian Coote equalised, however a couple of minutes later Owen Beevor floated a corner over for Phil Brown to score Carpathians' second goal. Then Carpathians gave away possession and then mis-kick on the line allowed John Firman equalise for United after 21 minutes.

The second half saw chances for both teams until an innocuous shot from Beevor slipped through the keeper's hands into the net. United scored twice through Marcin Kujawa and Ryan Toseland to take the lead.

Carpathians pressed and were rewarded two minutes from time with a good goal by George Quinn.