Windmill chase success on four fronts
Halls Group Great Yarmouth Sunday LeagueWITH the season drawing to a close there were just six fixtures played this weekend, including two cup finals.
Halls Group Great Yarmouth Sunday League
WITH the season drawing to a close there were just six fixtures played this weekend, including two cup finals.
The first saw Windmill win the Division Three Cup 3-0 against Hemsby FC to secure the first trophy of a possible four that they can win.
Following this was an enthralling First Division Cup final between Camden Tavern and El Sol, with the trophy ending up in El Sol's hands after a 4-3 win which included an extra-time goal.
El Sol raced into a 2-0 lead but Luke Goreham's long range strike saw Camden reduce the arrears just before the interval.
The second half was all about Camden who drew level through another quality goal, this time from Ricki Butler, and with around 15 minutes left they gained the lead through Tom Norman.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 6 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 7 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 8 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 9 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 10 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
El Sol struck a late leveller through Mark Vincent to force extra-time during which they headed the winning goal to celebrate their 40th year anniversary with the trophy.
In the league there were just four games, which saw Norton Athletic complete their season with a 2-1 win against Lacon Arms which ensures a top four finish in their debut top flight season.
Newtown Golfers scraped a 1-0 win against King's Arms Crusaders leaving them one game from a perfect record while Acle Wanderers slumped to a 5-2 defeat against Dukes FC.
In the third division, Sun FC scored the only goal in their match with Cantley Rovers.
Any clubs wishing to enter the league for the 2009/10 season are urged to contact secretary Glyn Gray; 01493 651261 in the first instance.
Likewise any existing clubs that are not running next season need to inform the league in writing by April 30.
Division One: Lacon Arms 1, Norton Ath 2.
Division One Cup final: Camden Tavern 3, El Sol 4 (aet).
Division Two: Acle Wdrs 2, Dukes FC 5; Newtown Golfers 1, King's Arms Crusaders 0.
Division Three: Cantley Rvrs 0, Sun FC 1.
Division Three Cup final: Hemsby FC 0, Windmill FC 3.
Wednesday, April 22
Division One: El Sol v Hemsby SSC (B Russell, Green Lane).
Division Three: Windmill v Belton FC (G Walker, Beaco).
Division One: Camden Tavern v El Sol (M Hubbard, Beaco), Hemsby SSC v Lacon Arms (N Jaques, Hemsby).
Division Two: Camden Tavern Res v Dukes (G Gray, Beaco), Newtown Golfers v Acle Wdrs (B Russell, Beaco).
Division Three: Rampart Signs v Hemsby FC (A Betts, Mill Lane), Sun FC v Crown Stores (S Addy, Mill Lane), Venture Albion v Windmill (T Scales, Mill Lane).