Yarmouth boss pleased with cup effort

Lowestoft Town 3, Great Yarmouth Town 0For the second Saturday in succession Yarmouth had an attack of the Blues, this time of the Lowestoft persuasion, as their FA Cup campaign came to an abrupt end at Crown Meadow.

Lowestoft Town 3, Great Yarmouth Town 0

For the second Saturday in succession Yarmouth had an attack of the Blues, this time of the Lowestoft persuasion, as their FA Cup campaign came to an abrupt end at Crown Meadow.

For a long time in this game with the score at 1-0 an upset was still on the cards, but two late Lowestoft goals sealed the Bloaters' fate.

Lowestoft opened the scoring in only the seventh minute but had to wait until the 82nd minute for the clinching second, with a third five minutes later being some icing on the cake.

“Class told,” lamented Yarmouth boss Paul Tong. “You cannot make mistakes at this level, but we made a couple and paid the price. Nobody makes them on purpose of course, but Lowestoft then took the bull by the horns and saw out the game.”

Home nerves were settled by Scott Mitchell's superb 30-yard free-kick which sailed past Michael Hilton's leap into the top corner. Thereafter, Lowestoft huffed and puffed but failed to stretch their lead.

Most Read

A combination of the Bloaters' defence and some uncharacteristic slack play by the Blues saw the score remain 1-0 at half-time. The highlight of the half for Yarmouth was a delightful piece of skill by Dominic Smith to get round his man that drew generous applause from the 600-plus crowd. But on the whole inaccurate passing was their downfall as they gave the ball away too easily.

Stewart Roach went on at the start of the second half. Jake Reed had Yarmouth's first shot, straight at Andy Reynolds, and a header from Craig Roberts went over. Olly Savage cleared a Ross King effort off his line before Mitchell's free-kick went way over the top.

Lowestoft had won eight corners before Yarmouth obtained their first when Reynolds got down to push away a 25-yard free-kick after 74 minutes and a second soon followed, but Lowestoft looked to have plenty in reserve. A cross from their left saw Damian Hilton stroke home the second after 82 minutes.

Mark Thompson came on and took a free-kick which Sewell headed over before it was back to the other end where King gave the scoreline a slightly flattering look with the third goal.

Lowestoft boss Micky Chapman thought Yarmouth had made a game of it: “They worked their socks off,” he said. “The second goal killed the game off though it was a long time coming. We weren't at our best and Yarmouth made it difficult for us but we knew it would be tough. They're a good young side with a blend of experience in Saunders, Magee and Roach, so as I say, all credit to them.”

Tong had the last word: “Our players should not be too disheartened. After our first half when we gave the ball away too much we improved and created a couple of chances. We're a team and we've got to work harder for each other, but overall, I'm not displeased with the afternoon.”

Yarmouth: Hilton, B Junior, O Savage, C Roberts (V Formoso 69), A Ager, M Saunders, A Sewell, M Magee, J Reed, D Smith (M Thompson 83), S Woodcock (S Roach 46). Subs not used: L Bartley, T Gorbould, B Lowthorpe.

Harwich and Parkeston Reserves 2, Bloaters Reserves 5

A very young Bloaters side won this Chell Trophy match with an all-round fantastic performance. The managers really could not have asked for anything more.

Lewis Greening opened the scoring, capitalising on good work by Fernando Vide. Alex Formoso volleyed home from outside the area after an amazing 30-yard pass by Johnny Watt.

The home side got one back but Jacob Maitland restored the two-goal margin before half-time from a Joe Bell cross which the keeper fumbled.

Yarmouth extended their lead after the break when Greening again took advantage of great play by Vide.

With 15 minutes to go, Harwich again pulled one back but Greening completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

With Blaine Lowthorpe on first team duty at Lowestoft, young Chris Bird had an exceptional game in goal, pulling off three remarkable saves.

Yarmouth Reserves: C Bird, J Bell, S Watts, D Barnes, J Watt, J Miller, J Maitland, G Palmer, A Formoso, F Vide, L Greening.