Yarmouth CC off to fine start
GREAT YARMOUTH made in two wins out of two on Saturday with a home six-wicket win over Drayton in a low-scoring Norfolk League Division One affair.
Drayton batted first and were immediately pinned down by Yarmouth’s new-ball pairing of Ellis and Vickers, with only two runs off the bat in the first six overs.
Ellis took both the key wicket of Breame (nought) and Coupland (4), both caught behind. He should have claimed the scalp of the other opener Reeve, the ball clipping the stumps but the bails staying in place.
Reeve and Hunt patiently took the score past the 50 mark. The drinks break affected concentration as Reeve (23) edged Noakes (1-21) to Thompson at slip.
Johnston’s spin claimed Kay (5) and Dave (4) lbw.
Big hitter Mario-Ghae was removed for a duck by Oxborough (1-26) at 75 for six.
Hunt (55) guided his side to triple figures but was bowled by Vickers (1-11). Ellis (4-25) wrapped the innings up on 120.
- 1 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 2 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 3 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 6 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 7 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 8 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 9 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 10 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
The Yarmouth replay was in stark contrast to the Drayton innings, as 27 runs flowed from the first four overs, all from the bat of captain Fitzsimmons.
Yarmouth blocked out key bowler Mario-Ghae, with Sole dropping anchor at his end. Fitzsimmons’ (40) fine knock ended when he miscued a Breame delivery, and the long vigil of Sole (8) ended the following over and Yarmouth were 64 for two.
With runs increasingly harder to come by, Ruddick and Hak guided Yarmouth into the 90s before Parihar (3-33) removed Hak (18) and Derry (4) in an over.
Ellis (6 not out) and Ruddick (24no) calmly worked the ball around, dealing with Mario-Ghae’s second spell, and guided Yarmouth home with four-and-a-half overs to spare.
Apollo Tavern man of the match: Lee Fitzsimmons for his fine knock. With honourable mentions to Ellis (4-25) and Vickers (1-11).
Drayton: J Reeve c Thompson b Noakes 23, M Breame c Derry b Ellis 0, C Coupland c Derry b Ellis 4, K Hunt b Vickers 55, J Kay lbw Johnston 4, R Dave lbw Johnston 4, M Mario-Ghae b Oxborough 9, R Pointer b Ellis 9, D Parihar b Ellis 4, F Dobson not out 0; extras 16. Total (all out): 120. Bowling: Ellis 12-5-25-4, Vickers 9-5-11-1, Noakes 6-1-21-1, Oxborough 11-2-26-1, Johnston 7-1-22-2.
Great Yarmouth: M Sole b Parihar 8, L Fitzsimmons b Breame 40, S Ruddick not out 24, S Hak b Parihar 18, N Derry b Parihar 4, A Ellis not out 6; extras 21. Total (4 wkts) 121. Bowling: Mario-Ghae 12-4-22-0, Pointer 4-0-25-0, Parihar 12-3-33-3, Breame 12-5-15-1, Kay 0.3-0-8-0.