Yarmouth Town disappoint at home

Great Yarmouth Town 1, Felixstowe and Walton United 2

After a good week for Yarmouth, where they beat Debenham 5-2 away and competed strongly against Leiston, it was a disappointment to lose to lowly Felixstowe and Walton United at the Wellesley on Saturday.

The only change for Yarmouth from the midweek match at Leiston was a return to young goalkeeper Jake Jessup due to the injury picked up by transfer-listed Michael Hilton in that match, writes Colin Jones.

Glen Spooner was unavailable again, as was Olly McCarthy, so Johnny Miller returned to the squad after injury and young winger Brad Casey was brought in.

Felixstowe had the better of the early play, but Yarmouth carved out two opportunities, Dom Smith and Jake Reed having chances before Felixstowe’s Rhys Henry crossed for Allicion Blake to open the scoring.

The striker took a touch before shooting a shot from wide which slipped into the Yarmouth goal.

Yarmouth nearly equalised shortly after but Gavin Norman’s effort was saved. Matt MacKensie then had a golden opportunity for the visitors, but despite being unmarked his header was wide.

Most Read

Woodcock had a cross which was almost deflected for an own goal.

Yarmouth were creating the better chances but it was from a Yarmouth attack that Felixstowe scored their second. The ball was cleared and Blake raced against the Yarmouth defence to get to the ball. The striker won and lobbed the onrushing Jessup.

Ten minutes before half-time Yarmouthd pulled a goal back through a good passage of football in difficult conditions.

Jo Bell on the left passed backwards to Scott Woodcock, who fed the ball out left again to Adey Ager. The centre-back threaded the ball forward for Norman, who slotted the ball into the goal for his 13th goal of the season.

The second half saw a change for Yarmouth, Johnny Miller replacing the injured Luke Fell.

Again the Bloaters played sluggishly and Gareth Palmer had to be alert with a last-ditch tackle in a one-on-one situation.

The half’s first meaningful shot on goal wasn’t until the 60th minute, Jordan Matthews shooting weakly at Jessup from a decent chance.

Seventy minutes in, Yarmouth almost scored their own counter-attacking goal. Jessup made himself big on the edge of his area and blocked a shot. The ball was cleared and Norman ran onto it. He challenged the keeper for possession but the ball was cleared for a throw.

Instead of Yarmouth chasing for an equaliser, the match ended without much enthusiasm, much like the dull, wet day at the Wellesley.

Felixstowe had the latter chances as George Barnden and Casey was brought on for his first team debut.

Manager Paul Tong put it down to a bad day at the office, and perhaps a hangover after their efforts the week before.

“It was a case of after the Lord Mayor’s Show, following the excellent midweek performance at Leiston. We failed to aspire to the standard set and it was a lacklustre performance from the lads.”

Great Yarmouth Town: Jessup, Page, Bell (Barnden 78), Palmer, Ager, Catchpole, Fell (Miller 45), Smith, Norman, Reed, Woodcock (Casey 89).

Attendance: 70.