Yarmouth Town Reserves regain winning habit

Whitton United Res 0, Yarmouth Town Res 2

Yarmouth Reserves travelled to Whitton for their first game of 2012 with a side boasting three new signings and determined to avoid a third successive league defeat.

Playing down the sloping pitch in the first half, Yarmouth had the first shot of the game on five minutes, but the effort from Louis Boyle sailed over the crossbar and the new MacDonald’s stand.

Although the Bloaters were having the majority of play early on, they had a narrow escape when a Whitton forward hooked the bar over the bar from five yards in front of goal, writes RICHARD GILES.

Twice in the space of three minutes Tommy Gardiner came close to putting the Bloaters ahead.

In the 16th minute, he shot straight at the keeper after being put through on goal and three minutes later, from a cross by Christopher Thompson his shot was cleared off the line by a defender with the keeper well beaten.

While Whitton were mainly relying on quick breakaways, the Bloaters pressure on the home side finally paid off after 27 minutes.

Most Read

Lee Grigg was brought down in the penalty area and Aaron Hanks blasted his penalty kick past the keeper for his 13th goal of the season.

Yarmouth also received the first booking of the game as Jamie Jenner was booked for a tackle after 38 minutes, but the Bloaters were full value for their 1-0 lead when the referee blew for half-time.

As in the first half, Boyle had the first shot in anger after the break, this time his effort was wide of the target.

Whitton almost equalised in the 51st minute but a fine double save by Anis Naili kept the scores level, as the home side tried to put pressure on the visitors.

However, four minutes later the Bloaters doubled their lead. Grigg’s centre was hammered home by Gardiner with the home keeper unable to get near the ball.

Before the restart, Yarmouth replaced Boyle with Adam Houghton.

Straight from the kick-off, Whitton attacked and Naili was fortunate to see a goal bound shot hit the post and cleared when well beaten.

Gardiner went close after 66 minutes, but his shot was just wide of the target as the Bloaters rallied and once again took control of the game.

Adewale and Woods replaced Thompson and Hanks in the 72nd minute and Davies had two shots well saved by the home keeper as the Bloaters regained 4th position in the league.

Yarmouth Res: A Naili, A Gelata, M White, L Boyle (A Houghton 55mins), J Jenner, J Grant, L Grigg, G Davies, C Thompson (S Adewale 72mins), T Gardiner, A Hanks (J Woods 72mins).

Tomorrow the Reserves have their first home game in six weeks when they entertain Stowmarket Town Res at the Wellesley (3).