Youth football news


- Credit: Archant

Gorleston Rangers FC​ U9 Eagles were at home in the cup semi final against Ormesby Lads. There was a tense start but from a swift attacking move which resulted in a corner, swung in from Ollie D, the ball took a deflection of a defender’s ankle and ended up in the back of the net. The rest of the half was played well by both teams with half chances for both but no further goals. The second half commenced with the wind at Eagles’ backs and after an inspirational team talk, the football began to flow. Up popped Ollie D with another, then Kian with a stooping header. Ollie F then got in on the act with Ollie D wrapping up the scoring to complete his hat-trick and a MOM performance, not only for the goals but keeping on going even when it wasn’t going his way. Jake was left with little to do for most of the game, due to the defending of Travis, George and Andrew. Robbie was his usual industrious self in midfield, with Kye also having a very good game. The boys have rightly earned themselves a place in the Shield Final. Training as usual tomorrow and away to Brooke on Sunday.

FC Bradwell U12 England faced Mutford and Wrentham Pumas. Keen to put last week’s result behind them England started brightly, competing for the ball well and their passing was an improvement on last week. This week’s goals were of the highest quality. Dan’s corner was cleared straight back to him. A first time strike from an incredibly tight angle smashed into the back of the net. Liam made it 2-0, driving in from the left, beating his marker and finding the top corner from the edge of the box. Pumas pulled a goal back but Kieron probably scored the goal of the season. He ran the length of the pitch taking on the entire Pumas team before thumping the ball into the back of the net. A great game with everyone playing much better than last week. Final score 3-1. Parents MoM Liam. MoM Noel.

FC Bradwell U12 Spain played joint top K&P Wildcats, against whom they should have got a result against last week. It was a much better team performance and in truth the game was 50/50. K&P never got in the FCB box all game, however, they did score three screaming volleys, all in the first half and all from a good 20 yards out. The second half was more of an interesting experiment from FCB with the first big changes of the season in defence and Marcus, Harry, Curtis, Harvey, Max and Toby all held their own whilst playing in that position. Camron again did well and FCB probably had the better of the second half and Fabian, Jack and Dalton were all unlucky. All in all, it was a good team effort and FCB were really unlucky to come out with two defeats from the two Wildcat games. MoM went to two very hard working players in Chester and Marcus. All in all, it was a good team effort. Thanks go to sponsors Kingfisher.

Acle U12s had a home fixture on Sunday against Hemsby to try to consolidate second place in the league. Acle kicked off and from the start played the ball around full of composure and confidence. They had two good attacks on goal from the outset not being able to find the back of the net. With only minutes gone Acle were on the attack again for the ball to go down the left hand side to be pulled back to Jayden who fired an unstoppable shot which flew into the back of net. The game was end to end with both teams playing some really fast flowing football. Acle had several good attempts at goal with Recce using his pace running at the back three and being denied a goal by some frantic defending by Hemsby. Hemsby had a few chances of their own, one from a good corner to have the ball in the back of the net to be struck off for offside. As the first half drew to a close Acle had another couple of half chances from outside the box making the Hemsby keeper work well to keep them out. The second half got on the way with Hemsby having a fresh imputus and the wind behind them. Acle defended well and struggled a bit to get out of their half with Hemsby using the long ball over the top. Acle stood firm and started getting to grips with the play. Moving the ball through midfield and down the right hand side they had several chances to push on for that second goal. Acle had a couple of good free kick chances but were unable to test the Hemsby goalkeeper. Unfortunately towards the end of the game Hemsby had a long ball out of defence beat Acle’s defenders to fall to their striker to score on the second attempt after Bailey had made a good save. The game was played out with both teams looking for the win, but at the final whistle a draw was a fair result.

Bohemians Galaxy U11s, on a perfect Sunday morning for youth football, made the trip to Beccles with a lot at stake for both teams. Beccles was bathed in sunshine and the away team were welcomed to a wide pitch with severe lumps and bumps in the ground which wasn’t ideal for playing the ball along the ground. Galaxy again started strong with plenty of possession but without troubling the home keeper. On seven minutes a great team move saw Joshua break clear and prod the ball past the keeper but some great last ditch defending prevented the ball from crossing the line.The rest of the first half was spent with a lot off huffing and puffing from both sets of players but a lack off real quality made for a scrappy affair. On 28 minutes a strong run by Charlie saw his shot well saved. The half time team talk was all about upping the intensity and communication which was lacking in the first half. From a foul throw the away team team seemed to stop awaiting the blow of the whistle, and the home side to their credit played on and scored. Again there was a lack of quality in Galaxy’s passing with too many players going for the same ball, but credit to the lads they toiled away and another great free kick from Kalvin caught the keeper off his line and a great sigh of relief went up.

Freethorpe U9s played away to an improved Acle side. Freethorpe learned some valuable lessons against a spirited Acle. Freethorpe dominated posession and terrotorial advantage and their effort and determination all the way through the match was evident. Eddy played in goal the first half and the only the job he had to do was pull the ball out of the net. Outfield he showed a couple of nice touches linking up play. Jakob was solid in the first half and it was good to see him back in action. He too played in goal for a half, with very little to do. Nevie, Tobias and Billy continually pushed on, causing havoc to the Acle defence. Ross and Will were the engine room of the team. Rhys, Alfie and Callum also showed plenty of effort throughout. With the Acle goalie having the game of his life combined with some dissapointing finishing it meant that it was a great specticle for the neutral. MOM was Jakob, hopefully his confident display will help him kick on for the rest of the season.

Ormesby Lads U8s travelled to Long Stratton for a cup match to face a strong side. Ormesby kicked off with a bare minimum of five players with Ezme debuting in goal. The match started with great enthusiasim on both sides. Ormesby battled well but Long Stratton found the back of the net first despite several terrific saves by Ezme. Working well as a team Ormesby soon levelled the score with a great run and goal by Breig who was playing up front. Charlie playing in midfield and up front continued his excellent runs and working well as a team with Harry midfield and Poppy in defence displaying strong defending. All of them had several great attempts at goal. Long Stratton scored again but Ormesby lads soon equalised with another great goal by Breig, supported by another fierce run from defence by Poppy. The second half started with a penalty to Long Stratton which they scored despite being faced by a fearless and excited Ezme in goal. Poppy then played through several defenders supported by Breig, Charlie, and Harry to score another goal for Ormesby. With only five players in total and no subs, Ormesby started to lose momentum against a squad of nine from Long Stratton. Long Stratton’s fresh subs soon scored another two goals despite Ormesby’s great team work and perseverance. Ormesby played with determination despite having no subs and facing a strong and large squad.

Most Read

Ormesby Lads U7 Tigers visited K&P Jesters for a Trophy quarter-final that turned out to be an exciting encounter. Lewis started in goal with Luca having a run outfield. Goals from Kye and Danny gave Ormesby a good start but the home side worked hard to get back in the game. Lewis made some decent saves and Alexander defended very well. In the second half Luca was back in goal with Lewis in a more familiar outfield position and making good tackles. Ryan played well as did Harley, both showing good levels of concentration and determination. Both sides found the net as the game went on, Alexander with two good finishes for Ormesby. Luca handled the ball well when called upon and Danny worked hard all through the match, playing a big part in seeing his side through to the semi-final. MOM was Danny, superb throughout, with also a great game from Alexander.

Ormesby Lads U15 travelled to Blundeston hoping for a good performance after pushing leaders Caister all the way last time out. Those hopes were soon dashed as the hosts scored two early goals. Andrew played in goal despite struggling with an ankle injury that prevented him drop kicking. Sam Dyson partnered Louis in centre midfield with Cain joining Ralph, Ben and Dylan in the back four. Ormesby found it difficult to string any passes together or get any width with Brady and William out wide not seeing much of the ball, Nathan and Billy had a few half chances but the half ended with a three-goal deficit to address. Ormesby rallied early in the second half and a superb free kick from Louis raised their hopes of a come back. Unfortunately it never materialised. Jordan, Daniel and Jamie were introduced but had little impact as Blundeston added to their tally. Billy finished well after a great pass but the game had long gone. MOM. was Billy. Next game v Burnt Hill at Station Road, kick off at noon.

Wroxham beat Great Yarmouth Town U18s 2-0. The Under 18s suffered their first league defeat in nine games at the hands of Wroxham. Two goals scored in the first half were enough for the home side. The result sees the u18s stay in fifth place in the East Division with six games left.

Great Yarmouth Town U15 gallently bowed out of the John Savage Cup at the semi-final stage with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Lakeford Rangers. The Bloaters under 15s deserve immense credit for getting this far in the County Cup under 16 competition, having already beaten four under 16 sides on the way to the semi-final. A big crowd at the Wellesley witnessed the boys match their elder counterparts for most of the game but the boys just couldn’t convert their possession into goals. The real difference was the away side’s strength from set pieces from which they scored both of their goals either side of half time. It has been team performances that have taken this side as far as they have got in reaching the semi-final, sitting on top of the league and being finalists in the League Cup on Sunday, March 29, away at Gorleston and it will be team performances that see this side end the season with some silverware.

Caister U14s are looking for players for the step up from u14s to u15 next season. Training is held on Saturdays at Caister Middle School from 9-10.30am. Caister are looking for a permanent goalkeeper and outfield players to push those already training and playing for position in a squad size of 16. If you are interested contact Paul Lowe Burrows on 07979560652

Caister U16s are looking for adult players for the step up from u16 to Borough League next season. Training is held on Saturdays at Caister Middle School from 10.30 to noon. If you are interested contact Paul Lowe Burrows on 07979560652.