John Kiki and Darren Barker stage joint exhibition in Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Liz Coates
Giant canvases were this week being manoeuvred into place ahead of a landmark exhibition being staged in Great Yarmouth.
John Kiki, arguably the town’s most celebrated painter, is showing some five or six works at Skippings Gallery in King Street.
One of the “Yarmouth five” his figurative creations have a worldwide following, drawn to his vibrant depictions.
Showing alongside him is Darren Barker, whose work at the town’s preservation trust helped to save the gallery building where local artists find a haven and a home.
MORE: Norwich exhibition celebrates artist John Kiki’s 50 years of paintingHe said it was an honour and a privilege to be able to show his creations - usually stored in his garden shed - alongside a painter of such renown.
“It is a huge thing and a privilege for me. I have enormous respect for John. He is the most talented and brilliant painter that I have ever met, and he is a nice bloke as well,” he added.
The exhibition opens at 7pm on Friday June 8 and continues for a week during the town’s arts festival.
At the opening Mr Kiki will also sign copies of a new book John Kiki: Fifty Years In The Figurative Fold by Keith Roberts – that looks back at his half a century with paint.
- 1 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 2 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 7 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 8 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
The book, published by Selwyn Taylor Publishing, is priced at £22.