Brother and sister back for more in Oliver!
- Credit: Archant
Local performer Julia Knight and her brother Matthew Canwell will be appearing in Gorleston Theatre Company’s spring musical Oliver! at Gorleston Pavilion in April.
It’s 18 years since they first appeared onstage together in a musical, in Me and My Girl at the Britannia Pier Theatre. Since then, they have appeared separately in various shows, but this is the first time since then that they are back performing together in a musical.
Back in 1997, they were cast opposite each other as boyfriend and girlfriend, Bill Snibson and Sally Smith, after the Great Yarmouth Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society had struggled to find a leading man to play opposite Julia. From then on Matthew was hooked, appearing as the lead in many, and playing Fagin in Oliver! in 1999 when Gorleston Theatre Company last staged the show.
Their late parents, Gordon and Marilyn, were frequently playing lead roles in the 1960s and 1970s, appearing alongside each other in musicals.
This time around, Matthew is cast as Mr Bumble, while Julia is playing Widow Corney, who later becomes Mrs Bumble after he pursues her in a rather manic way.
The family connection is taken further this time around, as Julia’s 16 year old daughter, Olivia, is also in the show, playing the part of Charlotte Sowerberry, the undertaker’s daughter.
Gorleston Theatre Company’s production of Oliver! runs from Wednesday, April 15 to Sunday, April 19, with performances nightly at 7.30pm Wednesday to Saturday, and matinees at 2pm on the Saturday and Sunday.
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 5 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 6 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 7 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Great Yarmouth roadworks expected to be finished by the end of the month
- 9 £65,000 of improvements will see Gorleston street closed for six weeks
- 10 'Revolutionary' cancer test trial to begin in Great Yarmouth
Tickets can be booked online at www.gorlestonpavilion.com.uk, by telephone on 01493 662832 or in person at the Pavilion Theatre box office.