Downton Abbey’s Lady Grantham brings her folk band to Norwich
- Credit: Archant
A Downton Abbey star will be swapping maids for musicians as she brings her band to Norwich Theatre Royal.
Elizabeth McGovern, who plays Lady Grantham in ITV’s hugely popular period drama, combines life as an award-winning actress and a talented singer.
And her band Sadie and the Hotheads has been announced as the support act for Mike and the Mechanics, who are playing at Norwich Theatre Royal on Sunday February 16.
Elizabeth McGovern said: “We are really excited to be the guests of Mike and the Mechanics and are also looking forward to coming to Norwich for the first time.
“Indeed, it was nigh on 20 years ago when my husband brought me to Norfolk that I wrote the ‘Cow Song’, so coming back to play there has a special significance.”
Elizabeth is lead vocalist, guitarist and songwriter for the band - a seven-piece folk act who began life in 2007 when Elizabeth responded to an advert for guitar lessons placed in a local newspaper by Steve Nelson of The Nelson Brothers.
He encouraged Elizabeth to start writing her own songs and both he and his brother Simon are guitar players in Sadie and the Hotheads.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 4 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 7 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 8 Charity football match to boost Norfolk and Waveney MIND
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
The band have previously appeared at the Isle of Wight Festival, The Edinburgh Festival and opened for Sting at the Montreux Jazz Festival, and will be playing hits from their new album How Not To Lose Things, released last Monday.
Elizabeth shot to fame in 1980s gangster film Once Upon A Time In America and has appeared more recently in blockbusters Clash Of The Titans and Kick-Ass. She has been nominated for lead actress awards at the Golden Globes and the Emmys for her role as Lady Grantham.
Sadie and the Hotheads will be opening for Mike and the Mechanics, who are coming to Norwich Theatre Royal as part of their Living Years 25th Anniversary tour.
John Bultitude, of Norwich Theatre Royal, said: “Elizabeth is familiar to millions as Lady Grantham so it’s very exciting to be able to showcase her talents in a different light.
“It’s not often you have such big name music acts performing back-to-back at a theatre venue and the announcement of Sadie and the Hotheads will encourage even more people to come and enjoy this must-see concert next year.”
Mike and the Mechanics supported by Sadie and the Hotheads are appearing on Sunday February 16 at 7.30pm. Tickets £6.50-£32.50. Discounts for Friends. Contact the box office 01603 630000 or visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk.