Good response for folk workshop
A FOLK workshop, held by Gorleston St Andrew's Competitive Festival was attended by thirty children and adults.The group spent the afternoon in intensive study of traditional melodies - Basse Danse, a 15th century tune, the Kerry Cow (an Irish Polka) and Irish Jig, the Hag at the Churn.
A FOLK workshop, held by Gorleston St Andrew's Competitive Festival was attended by thirty children and adults.
The group spent the afternoon in intensive study of traditional melodies - Basse Danse, a 15th century tune, the Kerry Cow (an Irish Polka) and Irish Jig, the Hag at the Churn.
Participants were divided into three groups, led by Laura Cannell (strings), Marie Young (wind instruments, including penny whistles) and Adrian Lever (guitars).
An impromptu folk band was formed to perform the melodies, which delighted the audience and gave the Ceilidh evening a rousing start.
You may also want to watch:
The Ceilidh was led by Marie with the Tutti Ceilidh Band, whose enthusiastic playing was mirrored by the energetic dancers.
The workshop was sponsored by Seachange Arts and Great Yarmouth Borough Council.
- 1 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 6 Road closed for two days for resurfacing
- 7 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 8 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 9 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 10 Warning about ‘you’re wanted for arrest’ cold call tax scam
The festival ends with three events - the senior concert at the St Andrew's Chapter House, Friday 19 March, 7.30pm; The Junior Concert, Lynn Grove High School, 2pm and the Recital and Bircham Awards Evening at the Chapter House, 7.30pm on Saturday, March 20.
Tickets are adults �2.50 with accompanied children free.