Great Yarmouth’s Hippodrome has best week ever
THE last seven days at Great Yarmouth’s Hippodrome Circus have broken all box office records as people catch up on plans that were put on ice during the cold snap.
Circus impresario Peter Jay said the attraction had had its best week ever – even counting the successful summer season – with audiences comprising a pleasing mix of hardy annuals and newcomers lured to the seaside by rave reviews and word of mouth.
Many of the afternoon shows had been sold out, he added, with only a handful of seats remaining for tonight’s extra special New Year’s Eve Gala Show.
“It’s an alternative to panto, and you never quite know what’s coming next.
“What has amazed us is that at every show we ask for a big cheer from people who have been before and from people who haven’t and it seems we are really breaking into new audiences, which is great.”
Although bookings drifted during the winter white-out they were back on course and better than ever this week.
This year sees the return of the daredevil Globe of Death bikers from Bulgaria – the huge steel cage features motorbike riders who perform hair-raising stunts that look impossibly dangerous.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
Host Jack Jay and comedian Johnny Mac are doing the Christmas season, the first Yuletide outing for the duo.
Tickets for the Christmas Spectacular, which continues until Monday, can be booked online at www.hippodromecircus.co.uk or via the box office on 01493 844172. Shows are Monday to Saturday at 2.30pm and 6.30pm, and Sundays 1.30pm and 5.30pm. The special New Year’s Eve Gala Show is tonight at 8pm.