Hippodrome’s festive fare reviewed
A review of the Hippodrome’s Christmas Spectacular
FOR families all over the region it has become the place where festive celebrations really get under way. And in its 10th anniversary year the Great Yarmouth Hippodrome Christmas Circus really pulls out the stops with two hours of breathtaking action.
Bulgaria’s Globe of Death riders put on a mesmerising performance which builds up to three motorbikes riding around the inside of a globe at impossible speeds and angles.
They are supported by a truly international cast introduced by resident hosts Jack Jay and Johnny Mac, who have forged a growingly assured comic double act.
French balancing act Duo Solys sees petite French girl Tatiana amazingly lift her male partner while the daring of Mongolian trapeze artist Hishge Batjargul exacts audible gasps from the audience. Nandar Petruska from Bulgaria puts a surprising twist on juggling – by throwing flaming batons.
The fast-paced show is stitched together with routines by the Estelle Clifton Dancers, skilfully choreographed with dramatic costumes and music. As always, the natural atmosphere of the 100-year-old auditorium is augmented by imaginative lighting.
In what has become a tradition that never fails to fascinate, the Hippodrome’s water feature comes into play in the second half, transforming the ring into a giant pool for the Jan Baines show swimmers.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 3 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 4 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 5 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 6 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 7 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 8 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 9 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 10 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
With Christmas meant to be for children, a youthful zest is provided by Yarmouth’s Dance Estelle and Chermond Gymnastic School in Norwich.
As always, the show can be heartily recommended as a refreshing antidote to the festive excesses.
l For ticket information and bookings ring the box office on 01493 844172 or book online at www.hippodromecircus.co.uk