Homage to great days of herring drifter crews
- Credit: Archant
Plans are well ahead for the Gala Summer Concert At The Minster Church Of St Nicholas.
The composer of Salt Smoke and Silver Darlings! will be playing the organ for his piece and says that he is really looking forward to be involved again in the revival of this great piece.
The piece was written by composer, organist and painter Nick Walmsley for the Great Yarmouth Chorus of St Cecilia and its conductor Matthew Hardy who gave it a world premiere at St Nicholas Parish Church, now The Minster, in July 1994.
Exactly 20 years on the choir will repeat it as part of their annual summer concert at the church on Friday, July 4th.
Nick Walmsley describes the work as a homage to the golden days of Great Yarmouth’s fishing industry with the four linked movements following the driftermen out to sea as well as the Scots fisher girls who await their safe return on shore. He adapted a number of familiar traditional tunes into the work which is scored for choir, children’s choir and solo instruments as well as two solo singers, Kirsty Barlow and Sam Street.
The concert will also include The Hallelujah Chorus, by Handel, Anthems of J Rutter and highlights from The Sound of Music.
“We always look forward to our summer concert. It’s a great showcase for a wide variety of pieces and always attracts a large audience,” said Mr. Hardy who formed the Chorus of St Cecilia in 1986
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 5 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 6 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 7 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 8 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
The concert at St Nicholas Minster is on Friday, July 4 at 7.30pm. Tickets are £10 and £9 concessions and available in advance from Allen’s Music Centre, Great Yarmouth and at the door. Phone bookings 01502 733625. The concert will be repeated the following Friday, July 11, at Winterton Parish Church at 7.30pm.