Martham officially a bird-free zone as scarecrow festival gets underway
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press Â© 2011
Ousted by high-tech bird-bothering solutions more than 70 scarecrows will gather in Martham on Sunday and Monday instead of guarding the crops.
The stuffed mannequins dressed in old clothes can be spotted by following a trail around the village in an event that has become a highlight in the community calendar.
Along with the flock of doppelganger decoys visitors can enjoy 34 garden/garage sales.
There will be craft and charity stalls on the green by Co-op along with the usual festival marquee where the organisers will be selling books, clothes and bric-a-brac.
A raffle will be held with prizes donated by local businesses.
There will also be a treasure hunt for adults and children with formes available from the marquee from 4pm on Saturday as well as on the Sunday and Monday.
Cornerstone Baptist Church is holding an exhibition and sale of dolls and providing refreshments. The Methodist Church is holding a Toytown Flower Festival and providing refreshments. St Mary’s Church is holding an Art Exhibition, Climb the Tower and refreshments. There will be a table top sale at the Village Hall and a car boot sale will be held at the Victoria Public House.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 3 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 6 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 7 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 8 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 9 Winterton beach poses as Sydney's Bondi in new movie
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
Programmes can be purchased from the festival marquee on The Green by the Co-op, detailing locations of all scarecrows and sales and also includes the treasure hunt.
For more information call Peter and Liz on 01493 740086 or Steven and Julie on 01493 748547.