New comedy acts showcase at St George’s Theatre
- Credit: Archant
The people who run the regular monthly WCB Comedy night at St George’s Theatre in Great Yarmouth are collaborating with London promoters Court Jesters to raise money for a new children’s hospice.
The appeal by East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) to build the Nook near Poringland was launched last week with a well publicised appearance by a radiant Duchess of York.
Paul Dunn from WCB Comedy said: “We’re putting on a New Acts Showcase with the best up and coming comedians in the region and we’re donating all the profits from tickets towards the new Hospice.”
Paul went on to explain they decided to set the ticket price for the showcase on January 8 at just £6 so people could afford to buy a couple for someone as a fun Christmas present and at the same time raise money for the Hospice.
“I’m convinced a ticket for this show is pretty much the perfect Secret Santa present. No-one has money in January so we’re banking on people getting on board with Christmas spirit during the month of December.” EACH fundraiser, Carol Plunkett said: “We are very grateful to the WCB Comedy Club for supporting the nook appeal and we hope the Great Yarmouth community will support them and us by buying tickets to attend what promises to be a unique night of comedic display.’
You may also want to watch:
The night will be MC’d by WCBComedy favourite and top pro comic Tony Marrese.
Twelve acts will be competing to win the plaudits of judges, a small cash prize and a promise to share the stage later in the year with a professional TV Comic in the forthcoming series of monthly comedy nights running on the second Thursday of every month at St George’s.
- 1 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 2 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 3 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 4 Knifeman threatened to cut victim's throat if he 'grassed'
- 5 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 6 Man throws bottle through house window in confrontation
- 7 'Public' swimming pool could have to shut after mystery complaint
- 8 Missing man found safe and well
- 9 Beds occupied by Covid patients at hospital increases five-fold in a month
- 10 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
Some of the headliners the winner could share a dressing room with include stars of Live at the Apollo and 8 out 10 cats such as Jarred Christmas, Mike Gunn, Pat Monahan and Zoe Lyons.
East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices cares for children with life-threatening illnesses and supports their families across Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.
Tickets for the Comedy Showcase are available from www.wcbcomedy.com/tickets, calling St George’s Theatre on 01493 331484 or by popping into the St George’s theatre café on King Street.