New comedy acts showcase at St George’s Theatre
- Credit: Archant
The people who run the regular monthly WCB Comedy night at St George’s Theatre in Great Yarmouth are collaborating with London promoters Court Jesters to raise money for a new children’s hospice.
The appeal by East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) to build the Nook near Poringland was launched last week with a well publicised appearance by a radiant Duchess of York.
Paul Dunn from WCB Comedy said: “We’re putting on a New Acts Showcase with the best up and coming comedians in the region and we’re donating all the profits from tickets towards the new Hospice.”
Paul went on to explain they decided to set the ticket price for the showcase on January 8 at just £6 so people could afford to buy a couple for someone as a fun Christmas present and at the same time raise money for the Hospice.
“I’m convinced a ticket for this show is pretty much the perfect Secret Santa present. No-one has money in January so we’re banking on people getting on board with Christmas spirit during the month of December.” EACH fundraiser, Carol Plunkett said: “We are very grateful to the WCB Comedy Club for supporting the nook appeal and we hope the Great Yarmouth community will support them and us by buying tickets to attend what promises to be a unique night of comedic display.’
You may also want to watch:
The night will be MC’d by WCBComedy favourite and top pro comic Tony Marrese.
Twelve acts will be competing to win the plaudits of judges, a small cash prize and a promise to share the stage later in the year with a professional TV Comic in the forthcoming series of monthly comedy nights running on the second Thursday of every month at St George’s.
- 1 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
- 2 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 3 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 4 Norfolk hospital records first Covid-related death in five days
- 5 Ho, ho...go! Santa sleigh run going ahead with rule of six
- 6 'How much money has been spent?' - Street lamp lit for 12 years still not fixed
- 7 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 8 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 9 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 10 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
Some of the headliners the winner could share a dressing room with include stars of Live at the Apollo and 8 out 10 cats such as Jarred Christmas, Mike Gunn, Pat Monahan and Zoe Lyons.
East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices cares for children with life-threatening illnesses and supports their families across Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.
Tickets for the Comedy Showcase are available from www.wcbcomedy.com/tickets, calling St George’s Theatre on 01493 331484 or by popping into the St George’s theatre café on King Street.