On your marks! Great Yarmouth to host endurance weekender
- Credit: Brittany Woodman/ Archant
If you are into running and cycling then this Great Yarmouth event is for you.
Active Training World, one of the largest endurance events companies in the UK, will be hosting a two-day event in the town on March 19 and 20.
After the success of the triathlon event held on the seafront at the end of last summer, Active Training World has decided to return with an endurance weekender.
The event will see a cycle sportive taking place on Saturday, March 19 where riders will set off from the Venetian Waterways' carpark and head out along coastal roads for distances between 30 and 120km.
Keen runners will also have the choice of participating in a 10k or half-marathon on Sunday, March 20, with a route of the town beginning and ending at the Wellesley Recreation Ground.
Mike Jubb, Active Training World's head of events, said: "Off the back of the success of last year's events, we wanted to do more.
"One of our big drivers for doing this is the growth of sport tourism and going to an area that has a big wow factor.
"It's all about the experience.
- 1 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 2 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 5 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 10 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
"And since Covid, a lot of people are more interested in having a great experience rather than running a personal best.
"In Great Yarmouth, people can have a full experience, enjoy the weekend with their friends and family, stay overnight and have fun.
"This event isn't necessarily for elite runners.
"Anyone can take part."
On both days there are fully signposted routes, chip-timing, downloadable GPX files, a bike mechanic en-route (for the cycle ride) and feed stations along the way.
There are also opportunities for people to marshal at the events.
Mr Jubb said at the end of the summer the triathlon event will be making a return.
He also said Active Training World have bigger plans for the future.
He said: "Our hope is to bring a marathon to the town next year.
"Due to the ongoing work with the new Marina Centre, we didn't feel it was appropriate to put a marathon on this year.
"But once the 2022 events have happened, we would like to go even bigger and put together the inaugural Great Yarmouth marathon."
To register and for more information, please visit Active training World's website.