Milestone reached in £26m leisure centre work
- Credit: Arielshotsuk Instagram
A special landmark event in the construction of a £26m leisure centre on Great Yarmouth's seafront will take place later this month.
A topping out ceremony of the Marina Centre will happen on Thursday, September 23.
The borough council ceremony will mark the point that the building is confirmed as watertight, allowing for internal works to commence.
The event will be attended by civic dignitaries and some of them will be making speeches.
There will also be a tour of the new facility.
Ground was broken in January in a virtual ceremony due to Covid restrictions. The topping out ceremony will be an opportunity for invited visitors to see the development in person.
The new Marina Centre, described as a year-round anchor attraction, will include a six-lane 25m pool, a learner pool with moveable floor, leisure water with fun play features, two water flumes and a splash pad.
It is scheduled to open in summer 2022.
- 1 Gorleston road closed for five months for new manhole and tunnel
- 2 New bus service to link Great Yarmouth with two major airports
- 3 MTV heading to Great Yarmouth for 'ultimate weekend'
- 4 Man kicked incontinent Doberman after it left mess
- 5 Holiday flats bid for seafront hotel after homes plan rejected
- 6 Man on cocktail of drugs arrested after hitting 73mph in 30mph limit
- 7 Man accused of woman's murder in Gorleston unfit to enter plea
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Christmas parties go ahead in Great Yarmouth as caution warned
- 10 Data shows Yarmouth among least vaccinated areas of UK