‘We’ve had some great memories’ - couple bid farewell to market after 26 years
- Credit: Archant
A couple who have been trading on Great Yarmouth’s market for 26 years have bid their stall an emotional farewell.
Steve and Liz Leaver, both in their 60s and originally from London, have been working on markets across England since 1986.
But due to Mrs Leaver's deteriorating health, the pair have been forced to call time on their presence at markets.
Most recently the couple - who run Steve's Accessories and Liz's pin badges - have operated on the two-day market in Great Yarmouth selling a variety of equipment for mobile phones and tablets as well as pin-on badges.
Mr Leaver said it wasn't an easy decision to leave the market two weeks ago but his wife's health made it difficult for them to justify staying.
He said: We've had some great memories on the market and have really enjoyed our time there.
"At the beginning we were really busy but recently trade has started to slow down.
- 1 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 2 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 7 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 10 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
"Liz was struggling with the demands of a 12-hour day so that gave us little choice but to move."
Some 14 months ago the couple opened a Steve's Accessories shop in Regent Road to run alongside their market stall.
The store at 40 Regent Road - opposite St Mary's Church - will now be the permanent home for the business.
Mr Leaver said he hopes footfall will increase when the Regent Road development is completed at the end of this month.
"It has the potential to be really good and attract a lot of people but it depends what else is done to it," he said.
"Hopefully it will benefit us."
The couple thanked everybody who had supported them for the last 26 years and encouraged them to visit their shop.
Mr Leaver believes improving the Market Place should be a priority for Great Yarmouth Borough Council.
He said: "We need something that will attract people to the town and the market should be that.
"It's a great place for people to meet and that shouldn't change.
"I hope progress is made as soon as possible."
The current proposals put forward by the council would see 36 new single and double stall units installed under a new architecturally-striking market canopy as part of a £2.7m overhaul of the six-day market.
For more information visit Steve's Accessories Facebook page